Crazy Interesting Facts surrounding Keno
Keno, a lottery-like casino game is popular for various reasons. Including and not limited to: its simplicity and its financially rewarding potential. The name of the game is steeped in French roots. The literal translation of Keno specifically means “five winning numbers” or “five each.”
This game has quite the interesting backstory which gamblers will most certainly appreciate. The game is said to have reportedly saved an ancient city in a time of war. All in all, it’s a fact the game’s popularity helped to accomplish the money required to build the architectural accomplishment of the East, the Great Wall of China. Keno may be a simple lottery game but in summary, it has limitless pure potential.
Depending on the casino, there’s a wide variety of keno paytables that usually have a larger “house edge” than other casino games. For example, the house edge ranges from less than 4 percent to over 35 percent. To illustrate further, the typical house edge for non-slot casino games is under 5%.
First, punters bet by selecting numbers ranging from 1 through 80. Second, after all players make their wagers, 20 numbers are drawn at random using a ball machine or with a random number generator. Sometimes less numbers are drawn as it depends on the game’s format.
Moreover every casino sets its own series of payouts which are called “paytables”. Essentially the punter is paid based on several factors. For instance how many numbers were chosen, the number of matches out of those chosen, and the wager.
KENO PROBABILITIES AND EXPECTATIONS
The following table provides the probabilities and expectations for various choices of numbers played in Keno.
THE FACTS AND BACKSTORY OF KENO
The easy nature of betting on the random selection of numbers is fun, entertaining and what’s more? The interesting facts and figures that surround its backstory and history will enhance your love of the game.
WHITE DOVE TICKET
In order so that results of Keno games could be shared as quickly as possible, carrier pigeons from great cities were sent to outlying villages and hamlets. As a result, this resulted in the Chinese name: 白鸽票 báigē piào, which literally translates to “white dove ticket.” Due to the carrier pigeon relaying the results of the keno game, the lottery became known as the ‘White Pigeon Game.’
THE CHINESE FORM OF KENO
The Chinese played this game using sheets with printed Chinese characters. Hence the winning characters were chosen from the first 80 characters of the Thousand Character Classic.
THE TRANSATLANTIC JOURNEY OF KENO
Eventually, Chinese immigrants introduced the game to the West. As they sailed across the Pacific Ocean to help build the First Transcontinental Railroad in the 19th century; they carried the game with them. At that point, the name became Westernized and it went from ‘boc hop bu’ and ‘puck-apu’ to Keno by 1866 in Houston, Texas.
THE MORE NUMBERS YOU CHOOSE, THE BETTER THE ODDS
The payouts are based on how many numbers the punter chooses and then how many of those numbers get a “hit.” This is multiplied by the proportion of the player’s original wager to the “base rate” of the paytable. Usually the more numbers a punter chooses and then the more numbers that get a hit, then the greater the payout. Although occasionally some pay tables pay for hitting lesser number of spots.
|0||There is a 1 in 843.380 (0.11857057%)|
|1||There’s a 1 in 86.446 (1.15678605%)|
|2||There is a 1 in 20.115 (4.97142576%)|
|3||There’s a 1 in 8.009 (12.48637168%)|
|4||There is a 1 in 4.877 (20.50318987%)|
|5||There’s a 1 in 4.287 (23.32807380%)|
|6||There is a 1 in 5.258 (19.01745147%)|
|7||There’s a 1 in 8.826 (11.32954556%)|
|8||There is a 1 in 20.055 (4.98618021%)|
|9||There’s a 1 in 61.420 (1.62814048%)|
|10||There is a 1 in 253.801 (0.39401000%)|
|11||There’s a 1 in 1,423.822 (0.07023351%)|
|12||There is a 1 in 10,968.701 (0.00911685%)|
|13||There’s a 1 in 118,084.920 (0.00084685%)|
|14||There is a 1 in 1,821,881.628 (0.00005489%)|
|15||There’s a 1 in 41,751,453.986 (0.00000240%)|
|16||There is a 1 in 1,496,372,110.872 (0.00000007%)|
|17||There’s a 1 in 90,624,035,964.712|
|18||There is a 1 in 10,512,388,171,906.553|
|19||There’s a 1 in 2,946,096,785,176,811.500|
|20||There is a 1 in 3,535,316,142,212,173,800.000|
PROBABILITY OF HITTING ALL 20 NUMBERS
The probability of a punter actually hitting all 20 numbers on a 20 spot ticket is approximately 1 in 3.5 quintillion. For the visual learners out there that’s precisely 1 in 3,535,316,142,212,174,336 to be exact. Probabilities change based on how many numbers of spots are picked on each ticket. No punter in recorded history has been able to accomplish the feat of hitting all 20 numbers, in fact the odds of that happening are astronomical.
THE ODDS OF WINNING BIG
A genuinely interesting fact about the game is that mostly all online casinos pay out the same for matching 17, 18, 19 or 20 numbers. To clarify the odds of hitting that many numbers is in the region of 1 in 3 quintillion. The sheer chance of landing 17 numbers in Keno is rare, it is almost as rare as hitting the lottery’s jackpot with only a single ticket.
KENO SAVED AN ANCIENT CITY
The lottery game of Keno is believed to have been created over a thousand years ago by Cheung Leung. The survival of his city was at stake and Leung was desperate to raise money from his constituents. So he invented a lottery game based on luck. As a result, he facilitated the necessary finances for his struggling army.
MIXING THE OLD WITH THE NEW
Online casino is all about mixing the Chinese roots of this old legendary game with the new frontier of the world wide web. Keno is a highly popular game and in its modern play, the game is played with eighty numbers online. Playing online is the best way to get at Keno since the game is easy to learn, fun to play and there’s no need to wait for days to find out the results. Consider experiencing the game’s playability on freeplay before actually having to place a bet to play.
KENO IS A HYBRID BETWEEN LOTTERY AND BINGO
This hybrid casino game has roots that go back as far as 2000 years ago. It is said that the game consisted of 120 Chinese characters that were a part of an ancient poem. All in all, roses are red, violets are blue, and the exciting casino game of Keno is a hybrid between lottery and bingo too.
RESPECTABLE GAME WITH A WORTHY CAUSE
In order for armies and cities to raise sufficient funds for repairs and wars, Keno became a fundraising gambling tool. It’s a respectable game with a worthy cause. Considering the entertaining and profitable values of Keno, casino operators were able to detect Keno’s potential to be one of the premier premium casino games available on their gambling sites.
PLAY THE GAME REMOTELY
This casino game allows the punter the availability to play from anywhere in the casino with the help of the ‘Keno Runner.’ A ‘Keno Runner,’ is always around land-based casinos waiting to take bets and get the ball rolling. The runner takes the tickets to the keno booth for validation and returns the validated receipts to the punters.
THE TOP ONLINE CASINOS TO PLAY KENO AT
- Operating since 2002.
- Also playable on mobile devices.
- More than 500 games, including more than 320 slot games.
- Very high payouts (about 96%).
- Live dealer games.
- Technologically advanced Microgaming Viper software.
- eCogra certification, Licensed by the Government of Gibraltar.
- Fast and secure banking.
- Stupendous Welcome Bonus. Just for signing up, 32Red welcomes punters with a $10 “No Deposit Required” bonus to get you started. Additionally, upon making your first real money deposit, the casino hands out a Welcome Bonus of $32 for each $20 deposited up to a maximum of $160.
- Loyalty Rewards Program, Club Rouge for high-end punters.
- 25 no deposit free spins that will be added to your account as soon as you register!
- Their welcome package comes with 5 x 500% bonuses on your first 5 deposits at Rich Casino, in total $/€5,000.
- Governed and operated in accordance with the laws of Curacao.
- Mobile friendly accessibility.
- Live Casino and Live Dealer Options.
- Excluded countries: Afghanistan, Angola, Bulgaria.
- Languages: English, French, German.
- Operated by Tabcorp UK Limited.
- Playtech Software Programming.
- Web Based Instant Play Platform.
- Play on your smartphone or tablet.
- Customer support is available through live chat, email, and telephone 24/7.
- Their site uses 28-bit SSL encryption technology.
- Exclusively accepts punters from Ireland and the United Kingdom.
- Stupendous selection of slots and table games.
- Mobile Compatibility, mobile and tablet friendly games.
- Superior customer service.
- Live Dealer and Live Casino Options.
- Gigantic progressive jackpots.
- The most expeditious payouts in the industry.
- One of the best licensed gaming experiences online or offline.
- There’s a 95.42% payout.
- Microgaming, NetEnt and Evolution gaming software.
LICENCE BY: Malta Gaming Authority & UK Gambling Commission.
- 1000+ games across five software networks.
- Simplistic yet rewarding VIP program.
- Live casino and live dealer games.
- No-download mobile play accessibility.
- Quick and efficient customer support.
- Founded in 2014.
- There’s a 95. 39% payout.
- Microgaming, NetEnt, Play n’ Go, Vivo, and Nyxs software.
- Well-organized interface.
- Optimized for mobile play.
- New punters to Casino Cruise receive a 100% bonus up to £200 after making their first deposit. Also there’s a 100 bonus spins on the Starburst slot machine and50% up to £200 on the second deposit. There’s also 25% up to £300 on the third deposit and 25% up to £300 on the fourth deposit.
Other Bonuses – Including A Chance To Win A Cruise Holiday